Race day is approaching–hooray! You’re going to need fuel to get your body through the race easily. Hopefully, you’ve already carb-loaded (the right way) and now your only concern is race day nutrition. What does that look like? Well, it depends, but we’ve got some healthy pre-race breakfast ideas for you here based on the length of obstacle course race you’re competing in. For the shorter races it’s okay to stick to something simple, easy, and quick because the race will be a fast one and you’ll be able to replenish quickly with your post-race banana and then of course, your victory meal! Skipping breakfast isn’t ideal since you’ll be burning through whatever nutrients your body has stockpiled. Give your body fuel so it can perform its best and not be sluggish.
Obstacle Races 5 miles or less:Healthy pre-race breakfast ideas:
- A smoothie (get a quick 5-minute banana peanut butter smoothie recipe)
- Granola with yogurt, berries
- A healthy-ish cereal and add fruits (think Raisin Bran with bananas, Cheerios with berries, Special K with berries or bananas, etc… You can even use granola as your cereal base as well.)
- Boiled egg
Obstacle Races 6 miles or more:
- Oatmeal – add your favorite fruits, dried cranberries/raisins, nuts, a little honey or almond butter
- Avocado with an egg on top
- Protein pancakes with…you guessed it– add fruit.
- Whole wheat bagel with peanut butter
- Whole wheat bagel and egg sandwich; add spinach and tomatoes.
- Egg white scramble (egg whites, veggies of your choice, and another protein if you wish. We like onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes).